Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Drink That Sealed the Fate

 
I've been thinking about what this blog might look like for over a year now.  I can recall my peeps at my previous job (Hello peeps!) encouraging me and providing input on blog names last Christmas (2009).  I think I have an idea about how I want to start off.  Being new to this field, I obviously need to continue my intensive research.  I have no pretense that I have anything to teach.  This is all about my learning and providing a narrative of that process.  I trust that you will only read the content if it provides you with some level of entertainment.  So don't judge my crude writing and elementary methodology.

As I was saying...research.  As a scientist tasked with learning a new protocol or method, I would first dive in to some background/reference reading.  As such, I will do something similar here.  Hopefully by the end of my research I might be slightly more versed at mixology.  Stay tuned for more on this. 

Champs-Elysees

But first, I want to talk about (and mix) the cocktail that sealed the fate of my new hobby....The Champs Elysees (CE).  When I first mixed this drink, I used the recipe from Drinks by Vincent Gasnier.  And I really, really enjoyed it.  Since then, I have acquired a few more books and I see that the recipe differs depending on the source.  So let's try two variations:

1.  CE (Drinks)
2.  CE (The Standard Bartender's Guide by Patrick Gavin Duffy)
Each uses a different Chartreuse, either Green (Drinks) or Yellow (TSBG).

CE (Drinks) Recipe:
1.0 oz Cognac (Hennessy)
0.5 oz Green Chartreuse
1.0 oz Lemon Juice
2 dashes Angostura Bitters
Shake, strain - cocktail or coupe

CE (TSBG) [recipe was for 6; I cut it down to 1]
6 Jiggers Cognac (1.5 oz Hennessy)
2 Jiggers Yellow Chartreuse (0.5 oz)
2 Jiggers Lemon Juice (0.5 oz)
1 T Powdered Sugar (not sure here, so I went with 0.25 oz Simple Syrup)
1 dash Angostura Bitters (drop of bitters)

Though neither recipe called for it, I garnished both with a small lemon twist.  They just seemed a little naked without a garnish.


The two are quite different drinks.  Besides the significant difference in lemon juice volume, the Chartreuses are distinct in flavor profile and even proof, with Green coming in at 110 proof and Yellow at 80 proof.  CE (Drinks) is much more tart and snappier with the Green.  CE (TSBG) is mellower and sweeter, from the Yellow and added simple.  I think I might like CE (TSBG) slightly better.  As I made the decision to revisit the Champs Elysees for this post, I realized I can't remember the last time I mixed this drink.  It may have been two years ago when I mixed my first 'real' cocktail and was converted into a cocktail fan(atic).

I look forward to using both Green and Yellow Chartreuse in more cocktails.  I wonder what favorite Chartreuse recipes others would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment